For a long time, I had some issues with my tool MSIX Commander, regarding running it out of an MSIX container. Now I finally managed to get the new Version working as an MSIX.
After spending numerous hours in the evening, I finally had one quiet morning alone on the breakfast table and had time to think in different way about my problem. Then I came up with an idea for a workaround and that idea really worked.
Once that nagging issue was finally resolved I had also some time for other point from my feature list. So, I’m very proud to announce, that the Version 126.96.36.199 is now released and has the following new and in my opinion cool features.
– Now also available as an MSIX
– Let’s you not only enable sideloading but also Developer Mode
– You can now open a CMD, Regedit or Notepad inside your MSIX Container for troubleshooting. Almost like the /appvve: parameter for App-V
– Error on startup when sideloading has never been activated
– Fixed some writing errors
If you’re curious about how I open other Tools inside the MSIX Package container, watch out for my next blog where I will explain how that works and how it can be done with some simple PowerShell code.
Do you ask yourself why I let you open Notepad inside an MSIX Container and why not start Explorer? For now, there is a problem that explorer.exe cannot be started inside an MSIX Container.
Therefor I let you open the editor as a workaround. First you select “File” and then “Open” in the Editor. Then you can change the filter to “All Files” and there you go you have a nice explorer replacement.
You can now browse your file System and look inside your MSIX Package Filesystem. In this example an MSIX package of the Edge Chromium Edition.
Like always you can get the latest version here: https://github.com/bergerpascal/MSIX_Commander/releases
I hope you enjoy the new features.
If you have any questions, features request, bugs or any other type of feedback pleas let me know.
- Installing a font with MSIX so that other apps on your system can see it - July 17, 2020
- MSIX Commander 10.7.5 released with contributions by Tim Mangan and now available as AppInstaller with AutoUpdate - April 25, 2020
- Disable Automatic Updates of Windows Store Apps on your packaging machine - April 13, 2020